Middlesex central cambridge
Almost all the old buildings have now been demolished to make way for a new hospital.As shown on the map above, the Willesden Union erected children's homes at the north of the workhouse on Barret's Green Road.It was intended that these blocks would only accommodate the sick but were to be used temporarily for the old and infirm. While in the infirmary, patients wore workhouse garb and their own clothing was stored away after being fumigated if necessary.The architect's site plan and "bird's eye view" of the buildings are shown below. Willesden porter's lodge, 2001.©Peter Higginbotham. The main administrative block lay at the centre of the site with male and female receiving wards to each side.This file can be downloaded from the ‘More Information’ section on this website.Some of the 167 active venues below may be solo, duo or trio only gigs.In 1897, the Guardians acquired a 60-acre site on the Twyford Abbey Estate on the north side of Acton Lane.
The building work cost just under £90,000 plus a further £8,627 for the installation of electric light and power — generators were located at the rear of the laundry.
The original design comprised a central administrative block flanked on each side by three ward blocks which would accommodate a total of 616 inmates.
In the event, only four blocks were built which housed 400 — 250 ordinary inmates and 150 sick. At the front of the site, the entrance was flanked by a porter's lodge and a store for patients' own clothing.
The building was mainly heated by open fires, although hot water pipes provided a minimal form of central heating.
The ward blocks had two wards on each floor, each holding 22 beds.